“Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven?” –Milton’s “Paradise Lost.”
Dear Pastor Andy, I agree. Do you? But then again, I’d rather go to Hell anyway, even to serve. There are far more interesting people, and far more in general.
The Bible gives many descriptions of Hell, ya know, and none of them sound pleasant by any means:
- First of all, there’s no “reigning” in hell, only torture and the “gnashing of teeth” (regret? Hatred? Restlessness?).
- Second, try jumping into a live volcano, and that’s said to be at least 10 times colder than hell.
- Third, are ya into drinking? Because there’s no liquid there. (At least we know there’s wine in Heaven).
- Fourth: we know Jesus to be the Light. Jesus is in Heaven, not Hell. So in hell, the only light is that of the fire (either that or the fire doesn’t give off light either). So if there’s no light, you’ll never see your buddies (or interesting people) there anyway, for it’ll be too dark to see anything.
- Fifth: Then you have the demons, who are no fun and have no kindness in them at all. And you won’t be serving them, just tortured by them.
But hey, if that’s really where you want to go…