Dear Pastor Andy, can you tell me why you believe in God using logic? If not, then can you tell me why you believe in God? Was it that your parents were religious, a personal experience (hallucination), or something your convinced of without a good reason to do so (remember a good reason is one that derives from logic). I am neither religious nor non-religious, I just want to know why you believe what you believe. Being a person who has done research, I see that there is no logic behind God, so I want to know what it is that I am missing.
My Reply: You know what’s interesting? You found the answer in your question. There IS no logic behind God (and by “logic”, I’m talking about trying to make sense of God with the human mind alone, or from a human perspective).
- The Bible tells us that God’s message makes the wise, stupid and the stupid, wise.
- The Apostle Paul spoke before the best of the best of philosophers in Greece. They believed him until he got to the part about the resurrection, for they thought it was complete foolishness.
- Paul explains (check 1 Corinthians chapters 1-3) that to the wise, the Gospel is foolishness…that’s why they can’t believe it…because they’re looking for logic in it.
I mean, the Gospel doesn’t make any sense, does it? God loves us and wants us to be with Him. God is a communal God and out of His love for us, came to us in human form so He could die and pay the price that we owe? Then God raised Christ from the dead so we could choose to be with Him for eternity? Logically, it just doesn’t make sense, does it? Heck, God doesn’t make any sense logically. He strengthens the weak, He weakens the strong…even Grace alone doesn’t make sense logically – we deserve to die but He dies for us (I know, that’s mercy), and out of His love for us, He offers eternal life to anyone and everyone if they simply ask and give their lives over to Him, no questions asked? Who does that? God does, that’s who. But logically, He doesn’t make sense.
So why do I believe what I believe about God? Honestly? Because God continues to reveal Himself to me. God has come to be to me not just my God, but the best friend I’ve ever had. For instance,
- God has never let me down (unlike all my other friends at least one time)
- God’s always provided for me
- God introduced me to my wife, and our marriage is centered around Him
- We communicate with God regularly (they’re not voices in my head, either)
- I ask a question and God will often gives me the answer, if not by putting it into my mind, then through somebody else…
Friend, if you want to know if God is real, then ask Him to show you. Say, “God, are you real? Because I’ve looked for you through logic and research, but can’t find you. So if there’s another way of finding you, with no doubt possible, would you please show me?” (or something like that). And keep your eyes open.
Remember, you won’t find God using human logic alone. So if you want to find God, or believe in Him, then stop thinking so much and just ask, regardless of how illogical or crazy it seems.