Dear Pastor Andy, what were some of the choices King Solomon made that hurt his friendship with God?
For a guy that was revered as the wisest to have ever lived, Solomon made a bunch of mistakes! Wow, where to start? Let’s see:
- Marrying foreign wives (he married a bunch of women as political treaties with their fathers).
- Treaties with nations that the Lord commanded Israel to wipe out.
- Allowing the worship of idols and other “gods” (those of his wives’) to even exist
- Worshiping of these idols / other “gods” himself (such as this fertility goddess above)
- Being very harsh with the people under him (1 Kings 12:10-11)
- Bad money management
…just to name a few.
For more on this, check out my blog post, “How can the Wise be so Stupid?”.