In 2004, I was asked to explain my present relationship with God and how it influences my daily life. I’d like to share my answer with you:
When I accepted Jesus in the first place, I was searching for that one particular unconditional and unending love. My problem was that I was searching for it through relationships with girls. When I was completely exhausted, I finally found it in Jesus.
I know what it’s like living without God, and I know what it’s like thinking that God isn’t there, even though He really is. I also know what it’s like to fall at His feet, feeling like I don’t deserve His love, only to be forgiven and reminded of His grace.
Personally, I believe my sole existence is grounded with a solid foundation in God…like the parable of the different soils, I feel as if I was planted deep down in the good soil. My roots are strong, clinging mightily to the soil beneath it, and regardless of how hard the wind blows, or the rain falls, or the snow freezes, my roots are still firmly planted, making it impossible to be uprooted or choked by weeds, and protected from being eaten by bugs. The Farmer waters and fertilizes my growth, loves me, and cares for me as one would with a special prize-winning flower. He prunes my stems and leaves, making them stronger for trials ahead. I still have yet to find what kind of plant I am, for only the farmer knows what kind of seeds He sowed. He knew me before He planted me, and He had a plan for me even before He covered me with soil. If I am a tree, I shall give Him shade from the scorching sun, and homes to His other children (animals and birds). I shall give seeds to His children to take other places and plant them where they will grow (as a squirrel plants a nut somewhere, comparing to how the Word is spread).
- I love God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, I love Him with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength. (Deut. 6:5)
- He is my Lord, for He cares for me; (Psalms 118:1)
- He is my King, for He rules over me; (Zachariah 6:12-13)
- He is my Master, for I am His disciple who learns from Him, takes on His character, and becomes as He is; (Matthew 16:24–28)
- He is my Abba, for I am His child, and He cares for me as such, as I continue to come to Him as such; (Romans 8:15)
- He is my best friend, for He has always been there for me and has never let me down. We also talk like best friends do about anything and everything; (John 15:15)
- He is my Hero for He has saved me from death; (2 Timothy 1:9)
- He is my guide, for He takes and guides me on His missions; (Psalm 16:7)
- He is my map, for when I am lost, He helps me find my way; (Psalm 23:3)
- He is my Protector, for He has and continues to protect me from the evil one and his followers’ malice; (2 Samuel 22:3)
- He is my Big Brother, for He has gone before me through everything that I will have to endure, helping me to endure them, too. And some things He went through, I will not have to, for He did instead; (Romans 8:29)
- He is my doorway to the Father, for I first had to go through Him; (John 14:6)
- He is my Pearl, for which I give everything up in order to own (only instead, He owns me); (Matthew 13:45-46)
- He is my treasure which I set my sights on (the treasure that I seek…and have found!); (Matthew 13:44)
- He is my Boss/Leader, for I am His worker/servant, and I work/serve to fulfill the responsibilities for the position He has put me in charge of; (1 Timothy 1:12)
- He is my Role Model, for I am one of His greatest fans. As such, I idolize Him, I want to be like Him, I want to see and love others as He does, and when others look at me, I continue to pray that they instead will see Him through me and through my actions, behaviors, and my compassion for them; (Ephesians 4:15)
- He is my God, for He is God, and no other is like Him; (John 8:58), (John 1:1-18)
- He is my Owner, for He bought me for an expensive price, and so I now fully belong to Him…and everything I own, is His; (1 Corinthians 6:20)
- He is my inspiration, and a grand discovery, and I must not keep Him a secret, but instead tell everyone about Him; (Matthew 28:19)
- He is my Healer;
- He is my motivator and cheerleader, for when I am down, He encourages me to get up and either try again, or continue what I’m doing;
- He is my Teacher, for He has taught (shown) me true, unconditional and unending love;
- He is my Provider, for all I have, He provided for me, and all I need, He provides for me; (2 Corinthians 9:8)
- He is my focus and reason for living, for without Him, I am nothing;
- He is my rock, on which I stand on; (2 Samuel 22:47)
- (Added recently): He is the center of my marriage with my wife, for without Him there, we could not be united as one.
So with that in mind, who’s God to you? How have you experienced Him in your life, and how has that part about God impacted your life?